Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Great Room

Here it is, a room designed for lots of time together with friends and family. It's the third floor of our little lake house, and has amazing tree top views.

Yes, the kitchen is huge, but that's where everyone hangs out. It's set up for baking (my mom) on the right with electric double ovens, and cooking (my husband) on the left with a 48" range with double ovens. Two islands, for two cooks working at the same time, or fabulous dinner buffets. The people at Ikea thought we made a mistake when ordering because there are no upper cabinets, just giant 6x6 foot awning windows that sink down into the countertops, and look out at the trees.

The "bump out" at the top is a study with bookshelves and a coat closet.

The fireplace is on the other side of that. Then, the powder room. The fireplace will be wrapped in silver cedar salvaged from an old scale house on AP's family farm.

The front door is in the stairwell (see it now?). And a deck actually runs the entire right side of the house (doors opposite the stairwell).

This is one great party room, for sure.

(click the picture to enlarge)

2 comments:

Susan said...

I love the floor plan. I think it looks perfect! I love the idea of no upper cabinets in the kitchen. You will love it.

Leslie Ober said...

Holy Moly! This is SAWEEEEET! :) I bet you guys are just giddy over this! I know I would be! :) Can the Ober clan come for a weekend getaway when it's all done?? That seriously reminds me of some wonderful vacation lodge! You guys get to be on vacation all the time!! Oh...and the private lake is JUST awesome!! Congratulations! :)