Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Guess What?


As I type with an infant asleep on my lap ...

Trees are being cleared from our property (dead ones) so that demolition of the old house can happen tomorrow, and the foundation can be laid next week. Progress! I'm planning on getting over there to take pictures of the process.

Meanwhile, we're in full decision making mode with the interior designer. She's fantastic, and it's fun. With every light fixture and tile choice I'm picturing all of the fun we are going to have in our new home.

Speaking of our little family, today I explained to Cana that since there are TWO kids in our house now, it's a good time to learn to play by yourself some, and share everything you have. We've had some rough days with two kids in the house. Days that I feared Cana's overwhelming love for Wake would endanger his life, and days that we both fell into bed thinking "are we doing this all wrong or what" while a two year old was screaming at the top of her lungs from bed (a completely new phenomenon).

Cana must have understood our little talk, because today has been our best day yet. She's made it all day with no accidents as far as potty training, she's been gentle with Wake, she read books by herself while I fed Wake (when she reads Brown Bear, Brown Bear the blue horse sees Kate Little, and the yellow duck sees baby Colten), and she colored quietly while I made lunch. We are practicing other things she can do on her own while I help Wake. Another favorite is cleaning. Give that girl a wet wipe or a broom and she's off.

What other activities can kids do around the house on their own?

4 comments:

Katy said...

Awesome! What a great little helper. My boys have had little interest in this, but Irene was like this and loved a squirt bottle with water. Also, all those Montessori catalogs are loaded with practical cleaning, independent stuff for little hands.

Krissy said...

What a great picture! How sweet!

Did demo start?? How exciting!!!

Leslie Ober said...

Hehe. GREAT question! And when you find any more answers...I'd LOVE to know! The one thing I resort to now, which I SWORE I wouldn't...is TV. Isaac LOVES watching a show while I need to tend to Naomi. He sits quietly and usually interacts with it. He'll even spend the rest of the day acting out scenes and quoting the show. At first I felt like a failure for allowing this, but the only saving grace is that he's actually learning a lot from it! :)

Leslie Ober said...

Oh...and I just have to tell you that I can't count the number of times that we've laid in bed and asked ourselves the same questions!! I guess it just comes with the territory of having a 2-year-old! :)