Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Two Months


We've had this adorable boy in our home for two months now. Yesterday he had his two month appointment with his new pediatrician. We really love our former pediatrician, but it takes about 40 minutes to get to his office from our new place. So, he gave us a recommendation for a new pediatrician, who just happens to be his wife. Her office is a mere seven minutes away and she is wonderful. Cana went along because she needed two vaccines. Imagine her confusion when Dr.Manfroy had turned into a woman. That's a lot for a two year old to understand. (I put the links to their websites because I get questions all of the time from new moms about who my pediatrician is.)

Wake is doing great. He weighs 12 pounds, 13 oz. At this point we don't pay much attention to all of those percentiles they throw out. I mean the method of measuring height isn't exactly scientific -- a couple of dashes on a piece of paper combined with a wiggly baby. I think that he's average in height and weight.

Cana watched Wake get his shots. I let her know beforehand that she would be getting shots next. She peered over the table and watched the needles go into Wake's legs. She watched him cry. Then, she looked up at me and said, "give me my medicine, I'm ready" and climbed up on the table. After the shots went in she was silent for a second, then turned bright red and the tears started flowing. She looked at me and said, "I'm crying mama, I'm crying." She got two stickers and a sample of fiber cereal on the way out, and was good to go. We've noticed this summer that Cana is completely void of fear. We see it in the swimming pool, with bugs, with trying new things, and then this doctor's visit. I like that about her, my fearless little girl.

Every time I have to hold one of my kids down for vaccinations I am reminded of the intense relationship between God's perfect love and suffering. How many times am I experiencing suffering and His perfect love at the same time? Yet, there is no way that I can comprehend it from my limited perspective.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Great post! Cana's story cracked me up and teared me up. My son Luke was also fearless and unfortunately, still is (he's 15). Great analogy about God's love and our suffering. I just watched (yesterday) The Case for Faith and they talked about the same thing. I love you and your family!

Lisa said...

I love that analogy at the end! Awesome!

erin said...

Yay for fearless children, that's awesome Rachel! Great question to make me think at the end :)